Symptoms of testicular cancer
Testicular cancer may not cause any signs or symptoms in its early stages. Signs and symptoms often appear as the tumour grows and causes changes in the body. Other health conditions can cause the same symptoms as testicular cancer.
See your doctor if you have these signs or symptoms:
- painless lump in the testicle
- swelling so the testicle is larger than usual
- pain or dull ache in the testicle or scrotum
- feeling of heaviness in the scrotum or abdomen
- buildup of fluid in the scrotum
- pain in the back or abdomen
- breast soreness or growth (called gynecomastia)
- enlarged lymph nodes in the neck
- trouble breathing or shortness of breath
- cough, sometimes with blood (called hemoptysis)
- chest pain
- trouble swallowing
- swelling in the chest
- buildup of fluid around the lungs (called pleural effusion)
- weight loss
- signs of puberty in boys, such as the voice getting deeper or growth of facial and body hair, at an earlier age than expected
American Cancer Society . Signs and Symptoms of Testicular Cancer . 2018 : https://www.cancer.org/.
American Society of Clinical Oncology . Testicular Cancer: Symptoms and Signs . 2017 : https://www.cancer.net/.
Cancer Research UK . Testicular Cancer: Symptoms . Cancer Research UK ; 2017 : https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/.
Masterson TA, Beck SDW . Testicular Cancer: Clinical Signs and Symptoms. Scardino PT, Lineham WM, Zelefsky MJ & Vogelzang NJ (eds.). Comprehensive Textbook of Genitourinary Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011: 28:505-508.
National Cancer Institute . Testicular Cancer Treatment (PDQ®) – Patient Version . Bethesda, MD : National Cancer Institute ; 2018 : https://www.cancer.gov/.
Pagliaro LC and Logothetis CJ . Cancer of the testis. DeVita VT Jr, Lawrence TS, & Rosenberg SA. Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2015: 70:988-1004.