Symptoms of uterine cancer
Uterine cancer can cause different signs and symptoms as the cancer grows. Other health conditions can cause the same symptoms as uterine cancer.
The most common symptom of uterine cancer is abnormal vaginal bleeding. This includes a change in menstruation (heavier periods, periods that last longer or periods that occur more often than normal), bleeding between periods, bleeding after menopause or spotting.
Other signs and symptoms of uterine cancer include:
- unusual vaginal discharge, which can be foul-smelling, pus-like or blood-tinged
- pain during intercourse
- pelvic pain or pressure
- pain or feeling of pressure in the pelvis, lower abdomen, back or legs
- pain during urination, difficult urination or blood in the urine
- pain during bowel movements, difficult bowel movements or blood in the stool
- bleeding from the bladder or rectum
- buildup of fluid in the abdomen (called ascites) or in the legs (called lymphedema)
- weight loss
- lack of appetite
- difficulty breathing
Alektiar KM, Abu-Rustum NR, Fleming GF . Cancer of the uterine body. DeVita VT Jr, Lawrence TS, Rosenberg SA. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2015: 73:1048-1064.
Almadrones Cassidy, L . Endometrial cancer. Yarbro CH, Wujcki D, Holmes GB (eds.). Cancer Nursing: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett; 2011: 53: 1281-1294.
American Cancer Society. Uterine Sarcoma. 2014: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003145-pdf.pdf.
American Cancer Society. Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer. 2015: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003097-pdf.pdf.
American Society of Clinical Oncology. Uterine Cancer. 2014: http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/uterine-cancer/view-all.
Chiang JW. Uterine Cancer. 2013: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/258148-overview#showall.