Symptoms of eye cancer
Eye cancer may not cause any signs or symptoms in its early stages. It is usually found during a routine eye exam. Signs and symptoms often appear as the tumour grows and causes changes to the tissue of the eye or changes to vision. Eye cancer rarely causes pain. Other eye conditions can cause the same symptoms as eye cancer.
See your doctor if you have these signs or symptoms:
- an unusual dark spot on the eye, including the coloured part of the eye (called the iris)
- vision problems, including blurry vision or loss of vision
- seeing floaters (spots, floating objects or squiggly lines)
- seeing flashes of light or shadows
- change in the size or shape of the pupil (the black-looking round opening in the centre of the iris)
- change in the position of the eye in the eye socket (orbit)
- bulging of the eye
- a change to eye movement or position of the eye in the eye socket
- a lump on the surface of the eye
- eye redness or irritation that doesn’t go away
Expert review and references
American Cancer Society. Eye Cancer (Melanoma and Lymphoma). Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2014: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003100-pdf.pdf.
American Society of Clinical Oncology. Eye Cancer. 2015: http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/eye-cancer/view-all.
Cancer Research UK. Symptoms of Eye Cancer. Cancer Research UK; 2015: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/eye-cancer/about/symptoms-of-eye-cancer?view=PrinterFriendly.
Garcia-Valenzuela E. Choroidal Melanoma. 2015: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1190564-overview#a2.
Menon-Mehta S. Ocular lymphoma. 2015: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1219134-overview#a4.
National Cancer Institute. Intraocular (Uveal) Melanoma Treatment - for Patients (PDQ®). National Cancer Institute; 2015: http://www.cancer.gov/types/eye/patient/intraocular-melanoma-treatment-pdq.
Schefler AC, Abramson DH, Dunkel IJ, McCormick B . Neoplasms of the eye. Hong WK, Bast RC Jr, Hait WN, et al (eds.). Holland Frei Cancer Medicine. 8th ed. People's Medical Publishing House; 2010: 72: 904-914.