Looking for a versatile recipe that is easy to prepare for your next dinner party? Perfect for serving as an appetizer or giving as a gift to family and friends, these lemon and oil marinated vegetables are great for entertaining and are sure to brighten up any meal during the holidays.
These marinated vegetables make a great addition to a seasonal charcuterie board, and pair well alongside fish or chicken because of their light citrus notes. Chop them and add them to vibrant salads and rice dishes for a bright burst of flavour!
- 1 small cauliflower, leaves removed
- 1 pkg (8oz) button mushrooms, halved
- 1 each carrot and celery stalk
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, cut cauliflower into florets similar size as the mushrooms. Cut carrot and celery into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
- Place vegetables into water separately. Cook cauliflower for about 2 minutes or until tender crisp. Using a slotted spoon or small strainer, remove and place into a large bowl. Cook mushrooms for 2 minutes. Remove and add to cauliflower. Repeat with carrot and celery for 2 minutes and add to bowl. Toss gently and then start placing the vegetables into 3 to 4 jars. Add half of the thyme sprigs and rosemary to the jars; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, lemon rind and juice, oil, remaining thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Pour into jars to cover vegetables. Let cool and seal. Refrigerate for up to 10 days. Remove from liquid and sprinkle with salt when serving if desired.
This recipe is courtesy of Half Your Plate