Note: This program is in pilot phase and is open to CCS Research Training Award recipients only. CCS reserves the right to make changes to the policy at any time.
The following policy is based on the Tri-agency research training award policy and summarizes the parental leave benefits that will be available to Master’s and PhD trainees, and Postdoctoral Fellows supported by CCS Research Training Awards.
Must currently hold a CCS Research Training Award with at least 6 months remaining on the term of the award. Must not be eligible for any other form of maternity or parental leave support*.
A CCS Research Training Award recipient may apply for up to 12 months of paid parental leave.
- Approval of the leave is conditional upon availability of CCS funds
- Leave must be taken within 6 months following the birth or adoption of a child
- Award holders may request a parental leave for every birth or adoption that occurs during the tenure of their award
- Multiple births on the same occasion (e.g. twins) do not increase the duration or value of the leave
- Award holders must be the primary caregivers for the entire duration of the leave
- If both parents hold a CCS Research Training Award and choose to request paid parental leave from CCS, they must share the paid leave for a cumulative maximum of 12 months
- The supplement will be equivalent to 60% of the value of the monthly stipend for up to 12 months
- Parental leave benefits are taxable income
- The award duration will be extended equal to the amount of leave.
- *Where an institution offers maternity or parental leave support that is less than the value offered through CCS Research Training Awards, please contact email@example.com to discuss
- If you encounter special or extenuating circumstances during your paid parental leave that might require accommodation, please submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application for leave
The following information must be received by the Canadian Cancer Society (email@example.com) at least two weeks prior to the anticipated start date of the parental leave:
- a written certificate stating the estimated date of delivery or confirmation of adoption
- written notification from the award holder of the start date and planned duration of the leave, as well as the amount and duration of any other maternity/parental leave benefits or awards being paid, while on leave, for either parent
- award holders may change the duration of leave by advising CCS by written notice at least 30 days in advance
Return to position
Upon conclusion of the parental leave, written confirmation from the research supervisorthat the award has resumed must be submitted to the Canadian Cancer Society (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that full stipend payments can resume.
Last modified on: March 8, 2023