If esophageal cancer spreads
Cancer cells can spread from the esophagus to other parts of the body. This spread is called metastasis. Understanding how a type of cancer usually grows and spreads helps your healthcare team plan your treatment and future care. If esophageal cancer spreads, it can spread to the following:
- lymph nodes around the esophagus
- lymph nodes in the neck or upper chest
- lymph nodes in the lower chest or around the stomach
- lymph nodes in the abdomen
- windpipe (trachea)
- vocal cords
- main artery leading from the heart (aorta)
National Cancer Institute. Esophageal Cancer Treatment (PDQ®) Patient Version. 2018.
Abbas G, Krasna M . Overview of esophageal cancer. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery. 2017.
Posner MC, Minsky BD, Ilson DH . Cancer of the esophagus. DeVita VT Jr, Lawrence TS, Rosenberg SA. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2015: 45:574-612.